Wednesday, August 31

My New Best Friend

So today, I was in a funk. I'm not quite sure what was wrong, just the stress of moving into a new place and starting school again I guess... but I was just really sad. And I needed to cry. If you're a girl, you know exactly what I'm talking about. If you're a man, don't judge me. Girls cry. I hate crying in front of people, so I wanted some solitude. This is very hard to find when you live in a teeny apartment with five other girls...so I went for a walk and discovered my new favorite place.

Behind the parking lot of my apartment building, there is this random little foresty glen- I walked into there and found this beautiful, wise looking, old tree. I climbed way up into it's branches, wrapped my arms around the trunk, and bawled my eyes out. Then- I wrote this poem:

From The Branches Of A Kind Tree

I love this tree.

Today my soul is frayed.
No longer who I once was,
But not yet who I'm becoming
I felt even the softest breeze could tear
Me
Apart.
And my shreds of soul would be lost
Lost to the wind
And the world.

Shoeless and Smileless
With a tattered soul,
I wandered into the dusk searching for comfort.
And my heart lead my feet
To this tree.

"Come" She called
"I won't let you fall"
So I climbed.
And her branches felt like my mother's arms.
I told her of my wounds and my woes
And she listened.
Every word.
I wept with my cheek against her wise, old trunk
And she caught every
Single tear.
And as I walked away with her bark imprints on my face
I looked back- and she whispered
"Don't worry my child, I'll always be here."



Moral of this Story: Cry in a tree

The End.


1 comment:

  1. Why is it that everything in the world that you write makes me love to live. It really does. You write beautifully Brittany! Your songs make me so happy. Your poems tug at my heart and are so very real. I think that maybe I want you to write a song for my wedding. Because everything you write makes me happy to be alive.

    ReplyDelete