Thursday, August 25

Note To Shelf....I Rock.

Just an FYI.
In this post I am going to be tooting my own horn.
This is my blog, I'm allowed to do that.

Remember when I told you guys that my apartment is super small?
Well, I totally meant it.
We still have two girls that need to move in, and there is no space.
Especially in the kitchen.
I don't even have hardly any food, and I was taking up almost half the cupboard space, my roommate Haydn is a crazy baker woman and has enough baking stuff to fill up three kitchens. It was a problem.

So.
Today.
Myself and Haydn set out on a mission.
We were going to find some shelves that we could put in our kitchen, so that there was actually some space for everyone's food. We left the safe haven of our teeny apartment and ventured out into the great unkown, into the wild wilderness of shopping centers located in the Cache Valley area.

Our journey first took us to Hobby Lobby. I fetching LOVE this place. I want to have 18 houses that I can fill up with all the cute stuff from this store. Also IKEA. We walked that store up and down...and also sideways. But despite our greatest efforts, no suitable shelves were found. We found some really super cute ones, and we wanted them....but then we realized that we're poor...and we still need to buy groceries...so we moved on.

Our second endeavor led us to ROSS. This is another store that I have much affection for. When you are in college, and you love to buy clothes- ROSS is comparable to the Merry Old Land Of Oz. You can get super cute shirts there for like five bucks! It rocks.
Unfortunately, they don't really have shelves.
'Twas a bummer.

After ROSS, we headed to Michael's, sure that they would have what we were looking for. It turns out...they didn't. We found diddly squat at that place and we were starting to get discouraged. We wanted our shelves dang it!!! We then went to ShopKo. Also Diddly-Squat. Then, Haydn recalled that her grandmother suggested we take our journey to K-Mart. Neither of us had ever shopped there ever, so we were a little skeptical, but decided we had nothing left to lose.

We walked into K-Mart, browsed around for a bit, and then do you know what we found??? We found the coolest thing ever, it was a lamp shaped like one of the cute little green aliens from Toy Story. I was in awe. Also....WE FOUND SHELVES!!!! They're just simple little white storage unit shelves, but they're cute, they work, AND they were only 15 bucks! We scored.
Big Time.

We then scurried home like little rabbits, because we wanted to get our shelves put together before Haydn had to go to work. We unpackaged them, read the instructions, and then realized one major flaw in our shelf-building plans.
We don't have tools.
None at all.
We're women. Building things is not our forte, so it didn't even occur to us to bring something like a screwdriver to college.
That's what men are for.
So, we went to all the apartments around ours trying to find ANYONE with a screwdriver. 20 minutes and 8 apartments later, we finally found one. A very nice gentleman named Cliff lent us his very nifty Phillips-Head screwdriver and we were back in business!!

I took us all of 15 minutes, and we had our shelves. They look awesome, we put them together the right way and everything!
I've never built anything before in my life, except legos...so this was a huge deal for me!! I am so proud of myself it's not even funny.
Not even a little bit.


Moral of this story: Gingers get things done!!

The End.






1 comment: