Thursday, September 22

My Woes

So tonight this really weird thing happened.... I had free time. I had no homework, no plans, and literally nothing to do. So, I turned to my very dear friend "Netflix" and decided to watch the first recommended movie that looked interesting.

Turns out it was this one.

I'd never heard of it, and figured it would be a feel-good romantic comedy that would warm my soul or something. Or something. Instead it made me incredibly depressed about the fact that I'm single.
I hate when that happens.

The premise of the movie is this: scientists develop technology that can predict who you fall in love with, and they install a timer in everybody that counts down to the day they meet their soulmate. Once you make eye-contact with your "true love" both of your timers start beeping and you know you've found the person that you're going to spend the rest of your life with.
The main character is a 30 year old woman who is freaking out over the misfortune that her timer hasn't started counting down yet, due to the fact that her supposed "true love" has yet to get a timer.  Chaos ensues when she gets fed up with waiting and starts a passionate fling with a (very attractive) much younger man who doesn't have a timer.
Mostly, the ending sucked. But I won't give it away. You'll have to watch it.
(FYI there is one naughty part that you have to skip)

I'm not going to lie, I found the concept of the timer very appealing. Wouldn't it be so great to have not only a guarantee that you will find someone that will love you for the rest of your life, but also to be able to know exactly when they're coming? To not have to even worry about the possibility that you'll end up a bitter, loveless old spinster with nothing but cats and quilting to keep you company because you know that your perfect match is out there, just waiting to find you?
Maybe I'm just a silly love-hungry college girl who's sick of EVERYONE around her getting married when she hasn't even dated anyone in a year. Maybe I'm bitter, and lonely, and hopelessly pathetic about stuff like this, but I want a timer.
I want a guarantee that my someone's out there.
That they actually exist and I'm not just deluding myself with false hopes and naive expectations.

Get on it scientists!

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment