Tuesday, July 17

Saved By A Smile

A few days ago,
I was feeling a little blue.
And a little purple.
But mostly blue.
Mostly, it was because I had to wake up at six for a training at work instead of sleeping until noon like I wanted to.
Because I just really love sleeping.
My bed and I are perfect for each other, but my alarm clock doesn't want us together.
That jealous whore.
In any case, I was not keeping my chin up buttercup.
Not in the slightest.
I was driving to work. In the wee hours of the morning, and I kept hitting every freaking red light in the universe and at each one I was getting progressively crankier.
While I was angrily stopped at yet another red light, I happened to look over at a bus stop along the side of the highway.
Sitting at the bus stop
happy as a clam
or a bird with a french fry
was a large Polynesian man.
And he wasn't just sitting.
No.
My dear friends, this man was also jamming out on a ukulele like he hadn't a care in the world.
I was so amazed by this man, I was staring at him with a face that probably looked kind of like this:
He was just that awesome.

The man looked up at me, our eyes locked, and if I were him I totally would have scuzzed off the weirdo staring at me like I'm a shaved llama. 
But he didn't.
His face broke out in an enormous grin, like I'd just given him a puppy and told him a funny joke. This man, was just so happy.
He was up just as early as I was, probably earlier, who knows how long he was waiting at that bus stop, and he was just so at peace with the world around him. 
It really made me stop and reevaluate my attitude
and revel in the random little joys life puts in our paths.

Throughout that day and the days since passed, whenever I find myself feeling down like an ugly clown
I stop and think of that man
and I can't help 
but smile.

The End.


No comments:

Post a Comment