Saturday, April 23

Only Your Real Friends Will Tell You When Your Face is Dirty

I have truly been blessed to have some of the most amazing friends in the world.


Me, Lara Smith, and Jackie Loveland have been besties since we were wee sophomores. Well... they were average sized sophomores, I was the wee one. When we met, the three of us had been through an awful lot of rejection. None of us could find a place where we really fit in, and we had all kind of developed an inferiority complex, we weren't good enough for anybody, and no one would ever like us for who we really were. Luckily, we all decided to join marching band, where we found each other and our lives changed.


I remember the first time I really talked to Jackie, I'd known who she was since middle school, but we had never really connected before. We were chatting it up after marching band practice, and she smoothly inserted a Homestar Runner-ism into the conversation. It was then I knew we were friends. That day, we walked the mile and a half to my house, discovering the many things we had in common along the way, and then Jackie walked the three miles back to her house. After that we were best friends. 


I don't think there was an exact moment where Lara became one of us, it was more of a gradual process, all I know is that by the end of marching band seasons, we were tote's BFF's. We even dubbed ourselves as superheros of band. That's right fools. We were the bandtasmics!



We were so awesome. And for about a year and a half we wrote and illustrated our own bandtasmic comic strips and taped them to the wall of the band room. 

We stayed friends all through High School and while we all would occasionally drift apart, something would always bring us back together. Then we graduated and made the very lame decision to all go to separate colleges. I'm living it up as an Aggie, Lara's rocking the U, and Jackie's halfway between us at Weber. Despite our seperation, we have stayed as close as ever, and alway take the time to make sure we know what's going on in each other's lives. 

Last night we were chatting it up via facebook and Lara mentioned to me that she had heard some very distressing news about Jackie. Jackie recently got out of a relationship that was very trying for her, and someone had told us that she was looking into purchasing a pregnancy test. The two of us were terrified that Jackie was pregnant, and just hadn't found a way to tell us yet.

So we debated for a long time whether we should just straight up ask her, or just casually bring up pregnancy in conversation and see what happened, or just wait nine months to see if a little stranger came out of her uterus. We decided to just call her, and I volunteered to be the call-ee.

You have never had an awkward phone conversation until you've had to ask one of your best friends if she's pregnant. 

This is basically how the conversation went:

Me: Hey Jackie it's me, your friend. That is ginger.

Jackie: Um.. Hi?

Me:...I don't really know how to put this...so I'm just going to go for it... Lara and I heard that you went to buy a pregnancy test....so...um....are..you....pregnant?

Jackie: (bursting into laughter) WHAT?!!?! NO!! OF COURSE NOT!!

Me: phew, that is great great news. Wow. Thanks for not being pregnant I guess...

Jackie:...um... anytime?...

Yeah, I know it sounds awkward, but it was 12 billion times worse in person.

I just want to say, that I love these girls. I love that we can go a month without talking and still know everything about each other. I love how we think our inside jokes from four years ago are still funny. I love how we can finish each others sentences while we're chatting on facebook. I love that we can call each other to ask if we're pregnant, and then spend an hour afterwards laughing about it. I love all the great memories we've shared, and the many many more to come. 




It's been great you guys

The End.




3 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Oh man. Best post ever. Also, best picture ever. Also, best besties ever. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany. You have chalk on your face in your picture on the side. Just so you know. Also this made me all beamy! I promise when I become with child, I will tell you girls before I tell my husband. And you will help me think of an awesome way to tell my husband.

    ReplyDelete