Sunday, September 12

Life, Love, Lindy-Hop

It's not every day that you find your calling in life.Well I guess it could be if you had short-term memory loss and rediscovered your calling every day. But still, it wouldn't really be every day because the next day you'd forget it had ever happened...anyway...life callings. Yeah. Good stuff.

This semester, I decided to take a big band swing dance class. It was a pretty random decision, I wanted to take Ultimate Frisbee but at the last minute I felt a huge urge to take swing dance instead, almost like destiny (moving and mysterious music....). Almost from the moment I entered the class, I could tell that something incredible was going to happen, then we started dancing and my mind. Was. BLOWN!

Never before In My Life!! have I had so much fun doing something so random and simple. I mean, swing dancing has been around for kajillions of years and I'm just barely discovering how amazing it is. I learned the triple step, I learned the charleston, I learned the lindy-hop and I had so much fun doing it!

Honestly though, what isn't there to like about swing dancing? It's fun, it has to burn tons of calories because you're bouncing around the whole time like you're wearing those moon boot thingies that were way popular in the mid 90's, you get to dance to awesome music, and my class is full of men-type people, most of which are severely not-ugly. It is like heaven in a class....this class is like an angel....hee hee.

After my first class I found out that USU has a Swing dance team! As soon as I heard about it, I knew that I had to try out. So I went to tryouts yesterday and spent six hours doing more swing dancing than I've ever done in my life!! I learned this amazingly fun Charleston routine and then I learned the Lindy-Hop. I had so much fun learning everything, and hopefully my audition was good enough to make the team. I won't know until Tuesday, but I really REALLY hope that I made it!!!

If you need me, I'll be Charleston-ing like no other....mother....brother....snother.

Haha...Snother.

2 comments:

  1. Brittany, you are beautiful and outrageous and I love you. And I LOVE your blog, and it makes me more excited to go to college than I have ever been. Dearest, would you mind following me as well? Love ever, your Favorite Cousin, Chelsea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s so wonderful that you discovered a passion for big band swing dancing. I can tell you’re having so much fun in that class. What you gain from it is not just fun, but also discipline. It takes discipline to master the dances because you need to practice constantly. I read that you didn’t make the USU swing dance team, and I’m sorry about that. But, I do hope that it doesn’t discourage you from trying out until you make it. Just keep swinging!

    ReplyDelete