Tuesday, June 7

Busy Beginnings, and Also Geese

Yesterday was my first official day working at Lagoon. As far as firsts go, it was a pretty good one! A very long one, but good all the same. 
I got to Lagoon at 7:30 yesterday morning for a training, and then they told me they needed me to work a shift from 10 to 4:30, and after that I was scheduled to work until the park closed. So my first day of work lasted over 15 hours. 

That's a long time.

I worked my first shift as an attendant on the fabulous Wild Kingdom Train! I enjoyed this very much because it involved me working with small children... and trains. 
The little kids were so adorable! While they were waiting in the station they would practically be bursting with excitement, and then once the train came around the corner- a couple of them almost exploded. Yes it was hot and muggy and very, very repetitive, but it was extremely worth it to see the huge smiles on all the little kids faces. 
It made me feel all glowy inside.

My second shift was on the Turn of The Century swings. I still liked working this ride, but it wasn't as fun as the train. I just put people on, pushed a couple buttons, and let them off the ride over and over and over and over again. And all the super adorable little kids were too small to ride this one, so I dealt mostly with insubordinate preteens. 
I tell you what, there is nothing as annoying as a group of 13 year old girls. 

Over the course of the day, I got settled into the routine that I will be invariably reliant on for the next three months: Work, break, work, break, work, break, work, work, break. 
I lead a charmed life. 
My cute little routine was rudely interrupted however, right as I was getting ready to close. My last run of the ride was underway, when something very unexpected occurred. Two geese from the little lake decided they'd had enough of water, and ran up the exit ramp and onto the ride platform! They waddled around like they owned the place, and I had to enlist the help of another ride operator to get them far enough away from the ride that I could start it again. 
It was, in my mind, a very silly experience. 

Moral of The Story: Geese are dumb. 

The End

2 comments:

  1. Heeee! Hehe! Geese! ALSO. I would love working with those kids, that's awesome! It sounds like you're doin fun things :) Even if it's repetitive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids are so precious. They make it all worthwhile :) Also, I miss you. Next time you're in Ogden we need to do something! I'm thinkin' froyo :)

    ReplyDelete