Sunday, March 27

Crazy For HUE


I love colors.

I love temples.

I love adventures.

I loved yesterday.

I traveled to the magical land of Spanish Fork, Utah with my amazing roommates and one of my best high school buddies Lara Smith. We had a frabjous day joining the Indian Community of Utah in their annual Festival of Colors at the Hare Krishna temple. I'm usually not one to dabble in the celebrations of other religions, but for this, I made an exception. 

We started the day early...ish. We're in college, 10:00 on a Saturday is early for us. Don't judge. 

Well, we started our pilgrimage at any rate, and after the drive down there and spent way way WAY too long trying to find a parking spot, we finally arrived at the Hare Krishna Temple!


It's so pretty isn't it? I'm not going to lie, when I first saw it my first thoughts were of Agraba...and I was really hoping to meet Aladdin....a girl can dream right?

Then, we walked around for a while, just throwing brightly colored chalk at each other. I must say, the results were quite enjoyable, and great for taking pictures!


My and my amazing roomies!
(Haydn, Me, Elise, Lea)

Me and La-la-la-lara!


Our very colorful feet
(Mine are the ones at the very bottom)

There were so many people there, it was unbelievable! And everyone was just chucking this powder at each other! It was like a food fight!...where everyone threw powder....instead of food...
Ok, so maybe it wasn't like a food fight but it was still really epic.


This is only a portion of the people, there were probably three of these pictures worth of people just in the crowd. It was    Kuh-Ray-Zee! So we were standing in this crowd, some Indian man was telling us a story about a monkey that realized it was unique, and also they burned a witch. Then, the entire crowd started throwing their chalk in the air, creating an incredibly dense cloud of chalk smoke. One moment, there was a gigantic mob of people, the next, you could only see two feet in front of you while you were choking on pinkish dust. 

I know it sounds kind of crazy, but it was so much fun!

The Festival itself was epic, but it was more fun when we were walking around the grocery store looking like hooligans. A family walked past me and the little boy in the cart stared at me and said in a tone of disgust "You look Weeeeiiiiirrdd!"



In his defense.... I did.

I hope you guys had a great weekend!!! 
Hare Krishna!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment