Friday, February 3

Day Three: Space Camp

Today, I studied.
It was super duper all kinds of scrumdiddlyumptious fun!
False.
It was Geology.
Geology is boring.
I know it's important to some people somewhere,
but frankly I don't give a flying fart in space about
feldspars, and luster, and magma.
It's just not my cup of tea.

My cup of tea is what I spent tonight doing:
Eating pepperoni pizza, and watching Stranger Than Fiction.
I
Love
This
Movie
I love its wittiness
its quirkiness
and its sweetness.
I love Will Ferrell
I love Emma Thompson
and I love Maggie Gyllenhall.

My absolute favorite part of the movie, is when Will Ferrell
shows up at Maggie Gyllenhall's bakery
with a box
of flours.
Not flowers, he brings her a box of different varieties of flour.
Because she's a baker.
And he loves her.

My second favorite part of the movie,
is when he knows that his death is imminent,
and he asks his friend
what he would do
if he knew he didn't have long to live.
His friend thinks for a second,
and then replies:

"I'd go to Space Camp."

Will Ferrell asks him,

"Aren't you too old for Space Camp?"

and his friend gives him a look full of incredulity and replies,

"You're never too old for Space Camp."

That.
That right there,
is my favorite.

It just really made me think.
About all the dreams and ambitions that I had as a child,
that maybe I'd started thinking I had outgrown.
The dreams everyone has, of being a fireman, or flying on a spaceship, or being a movie star...
Why is it, do you think, that as we grow bigger, our ambitions grow smaller?

I used to want to conquer the world!
To live in Africa and conquer world hunger,
to write a book that would change the world,
to be in a rock band.

Now I want to have a job,
I want to go to school,
I want to buy pizza instead of making spaghetti,
I want to do things that are sadly unremarkable.


I think I, and maybe we all need to remember that we're never to old to do the things we've always dreamed of.
We're never too old
for space camp.




No comments:

Post a Comment